Third Eaglet! Bald Eagle Facts and Information

There is a third eagle as of this morning, April 14th! If you click on the picture to the left of this paragraph, you should be able to make out the three little heads of our baby eagles! The parents brought quite a lot of food today and there are feathers everywhere!! I guess I won’t be getting any papers graded today! lol!

If you are interested in learning more about bald eagles, go to this link: http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/

And of course, the link to the Eagle Cam is HERE!

Questions for my students:

1. What is a baby eagle called?
  2. What do bald eagles eat?
  3. How long can a bald eagle live?
  4. What are talons?
  5. Which is larger, the male or the female eagle? What are their sizes?
  6. Are there any questions you would like to ask me about eagles?

PS–You can get all the answers to these questions (and more) from the website above. Happy Eagle Watching!!

11 thoughts on “Third Eaglet! Bald Eagle Facts and Information

• April 25, 2009 at 11:30 am
    Permalink

Hi, students!

My name is Skipper Bobby and I’m a member of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation Discussion Forum. I live in London, Ontario, Canada!!

I’m so glad that you are watching the Sidney triplets this year. The eaglets are growing fast, aren’t they? And they are so much fun to watch as they learn and try out new things.

If you have any questions about the eagles, please ask your teacher to post them on our forum and we will be glad to answer!

Skipper Bobby

Reply
  • April 23, 2009 at 7:09 pm
    Permalink

Ms. Lenahan, thank you for the Puddler magazine! I loved the pictures of the birds too! The baby eagles are so tiny and cute!

Reply
  • April 19, 2009 at 8:18 pm
    Permalink

Great job ladies….keep up the good work!!!!!!!

Reply
  • April 17, 2009 at 9:10 am
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, the answers to your questions are:
    1. Baby eagles are sometimes called eaglets,fledglings,or chicks.
    2.Bald eagles eat dead or dying fish.
    3.A bald eagle can live from 20-30 years.
    4.Talons are the Bald eagles claws or nails.
    5. Female eagles are larger. The female’s body length varies from 35 to 37 inches. Her wingspan is from 70 to 90 inches. The male has a body length of 30 to 34 inches. His wingspan is from 72 to 85 inches.
    6. Ms. Lenahan I do not have any questions for now, but if I think of something, I will post back.
    ~ Your student Ameena. 🙂

Reply
    • April 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm
      Permalink

Ameena,
      I am so proud of you! Your answers are right on! Have you been watching the nest much? I love watching the parents feed the eaglets!

The eagles have also brought other ‘prey’ animals to the nest this week–I watched them bring a rabbit and a huge gull to the nest. Do you see the feathers everywhere??

Also, I just saw on the news that the nesting red-tails have baby hawks!! I will find out more and post it here.

I hope you get outside and enjoy this beautiful weather! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep blogging!

Peace,
      Ms. Lenahan

Reply
  • April 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm
    Permalink

OMG! Did you see the “gull explosion”? If not, go to the chat on the hancock site and scroll until you see the url for it- it’s something you would never get to see ordinarily.

Reply
    • April 16, 2009 at 9:23 pm
      Permalink

Ruthie,
      It sounds as if you are as hooked to this thing as I am! LOLOLOL! John is sleeping on the couch–he fell asleep there while I was watching the cam. He says I am obsessed. 🙂

Reply
  • April 16, 2009 at 8:59 pm
    Permalink

Hi Mary- it’s 7pm and I’m checking up on the nest, and I don’t see the babies at all! Are they down under the mom, hidden? I didn’t realize the nest was deep enough to hide them so well. Even when the mom was up and about for a few moments, I didn’t see even a hint of the little ones.
    The other day, I visited the nest during a rainstorm- it was so cool to see her sitting there, like a statue, not moving at all, protecting her babies. I could hear and see the strong wind blowing all around her. Fascinating to watch.

Reply
  • April 16, 2009 at 7:55 pm
    Permalink

I loved seeing the baby eagles being fed. Why do they call them “bobble heads”?

Reply
  • April 15, 2009 at 7:02 pm
    Permalink

Hi to you Ms.Lenahan and your students. I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and I am in a small school on Wolfe Island in the St.Lawrence river where it meets Lake Ontario. There are only about 50 students in the school.

I am an avid eagle watcher on the cameras and I am very excited about 3 eaglets hatching.

I am an educational assistant with 2 autistic boys. I am going to encourage the teachers to get onto the website to watch the developments over the next couple of months with the eagles.

Say hi to all of your students from Kingston, Ontario Canada.

Kathy Barnes

Reply
  • April 14, 2009 at 5:54 pm
    Permalink

1.What is a baby eagle called?
    A baby eagle is called an eaglet or fledgling.
    2.What do bald eagles eat? Bald eagles eat fish, flamigos, mollusks, bivalves.(mollusk means a group of soft-bodied, hard-shelled freshwater and saltwater animals including the oyster, clam, mussel, snail, conch, scallop, squid, and octopus.)3.How long can a bald eagle live? In the wild, Bald Eagles live up to 20-50years, but in captivity they live up to 60years. 4.What are talons? A claw is a curved, pointed appendage, found at the end of a toe or finger in most mammals, birds, and some reptiles.YUP…. 5.Which is larger, the male or the female eagle? What are their sizes? A female bald eagle is bigger than a male. A female bald eagle’s body length is 35 to 37 inches, with a wingspan of 79 to 90 inches. A male bald eagle length of 30 to 34 inches; with a wingspan that is from 72 to 85 inches. 6. NO THERE IS NOOOOOO QUESTIONS!! MUHAHA!!!MUHAHA!!! MUHAHA!!!MUHAHA!!!( COUGH COUGH COUGH)mUHA AH…. Ms.Lenahan about the math homework what are the pages again? MuhaHA!

Reply