Earth Day is Every Day!

Every Earth Day the students go outside and clean up the playground. Teachers talk about all the trash that is collected. Kids shake their heads in disbelief and say ‘I won’t litter. I don’t litter.’ Then, a week or two goes by and there is the trash again. Hmmm…

How can this Earth Day be different? How can we, the citizens of Room 309, exact change in our little corner of the world? In Rm. 309, Earth Day is every day. We live it, we breathe it, we walk the walk and talk the talk. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. What do the three R’s really mean? Is recycling enough? How can I (we) reduce what we use? How can we reuse more? Should Earth Day merely be a day to pick up trash and talk about recycling or can it be much more?

To my students:

First–research the origin of Earth Day. Write a paragraph detailing Earth Day and its beginning. Include the founder of Earth Day and the date of the first Earth Day.

Second–how would you like for our class to celebrate Earth Day this year? Ideas could be: write poems, songs, stories about the Earth and our environment, go outside and hug a tree, etc. Write a detailed paragraph outlining your ideas. We will vote on the favorite ideas and complete them in our Earth Day celebration! 

And if any of you wish to do any ‘Extra Credit’ you can research Rachel Carson and her significance to all of this!

To our visitors: Please post your ideas about Earth Day. How will you celebrate? Or better yet, how do you celebrate Earth Day every day? We would really appreciate hearing from everyone who visits our blog. If you do, we would be glad to send you a postcard from our town of Pleasantville, New Jersey, USA!!

Some links to use when doing your research:

http://holidays.kaboose.com/earth-day/history/earthday-history.html

http://earthday.wilderness.org/history/

http://www.epa.gov/earthday/history.htm

25 thoughts on “Earth Day is Every Day!

• May 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm
    Permalink

Senator Nelson was the person that made Earth Day. April 22, 1970 was the day that Earth Day began. Since Earth Day was made it was very important. Earth Day was made to save elasticity and to spend some time with your family. The President agreed to Senator Nelson about Earth Day.

I would like the class to play outside and to pick up trash. We can do some recycle and hug trees. We can also plant flowers outside, play games outside, and to do some nature walk.

Reply
  • April 25, 2009 at 10:20 am
    Permalink

I am looking forward to having the booth at the ACUA Earth Day celebration…

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:32 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day was first invented by a senator named Gaylord Nelson. Senator Gaylord was a senator of Wisconsin and he believed that we would have one Earth. He also believed that we would have to take care of it ourselves. The first Earth Day was April 221970.Over 22 million people were estimated to be there.

Class 309 can celebrate Earth Day by bringing in board games, and seeing how many words you can make with Earth Day. We can also make things that remind us of earth day. Earth day is a special day for everybody even for Ms.Lenahan. It is very special to her because she feels Earth Day should be everyday.

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:27 pm
    Permalink

Senator Gaylord Nelson created earth day. Senator Gaylord Nelson believed we only have one earth so we have to take care of it. The first earth day was April 22, 1970. For the 20th anniversary of earth day is in 1990. They were joined more than 200million people in the countries participating in celebration of the planet.

I would like our class to draw pictures and make posters about earth day. And list down thing we could do to help our earth and read stories about earth.

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm
    Permalink

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm
    Permalink

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day’s History

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:18 pm
    Permalink

The founder of Earth Day name was Gaylord Nelson. The first Earth Day started April 22, 1970. Gaylord was a Senator. Nelson died at the age of 89. He thought education changed peoples mind about the environment. Earth Day is not just for one country, it is for everyone.

For Earth Day in class I would like to write stories about Earth Day. It would be cool to listen to everyone’s interpretation about Earth Day. We can tell what we can do on Earth Day and every day. If we make a difference in 2 weeks the Earth will be cleaner.

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan,
    Happy Earth Day!
    We say this every April 22 thanks to Senator Gaylord Nelson. He created Earth Day. Earth day was very important. He really cared about the environment. 39 years ago Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day in Seattle. Over 20 million people came to support him and his idea. Grade schools, high schools, colleges, and communities came. They came to help their Earth and they did. Earth Day is still very important. But unfortuetely, Gaylord Nelson died July 2005 before he could see the wonderful progress Earth Day has had.

How I want Earth Day to be celebrated.

I want Earth Day to be celebrated anyway.
    We could go outside and play.
    We could do anything on Earth Day.
    We could lie in the Sun.
    Or just had fun.

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm
    Permalink

The first Earth Day was in April 22, 1970. The founder of Earth Day was Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin. Nationwide there was an estimate of 20 million people attended festivities that day. This day was created so that our Earth or Mother Nature could be clean and healthy.

On Earth Day I would like to go outside and play games. Lay in the grass and run around. I would also like to write poems. It will be cool if we could draw things about nature and Earth. We could do bird watching.

Reply
  • April 24, 2009 at 12:12 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day

Reply
  • April 23, 2009 at 8:57 pm
    Permalink

For me, Earth Day is the chance to remember that this is the only planet that we have (for now). We have to take care of it so that it can continue to take care of us. We have to stop polluting it, stop wasting the natural resources of it. I think that every day should be Earth Day.

Reply
  • April 23, 2009 at 6:02 am
    Permalink

Happy Earth Day!
    Ms.Lenahan,
    Happy Earth Day! We say this frase every April 22 thanks to Gaylord Nelson.

Senator Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day April 22,1970(the first celebration). 20 million people nation wide came to support him in Seattle. Earth Day was very special. Grade schools, high schools, coleges, and communities came.They came to help their Earth. And they did.Earth Day is still very special. But unfortuetely, Gaylord Nelson died July 2005 before he could see it.

How I want Earth Day to be celebrated.

I would like our class to celebrate Earth Day by going outside.
    We could do lots of enviromental things to help Mother Earth.
    We could clean up.
    Or just play.
    We could do anything on Earth Day.
    We could stare at the Sun.
    Or Just have fun.

Reply
  • April 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm
    Permalink

Check the eagle cam- it’s storming again!

Reply
  • April 22, 2009 at 11:15 am
    Permalink

Reply
  • April 22, 2009 at 11:06 am
    Permalink

Hi Ms. Lenahan,
    I’m so glad Sen. Nelson is finally getting some recognition! He’s another great example of how one person can make a HUGE difference!
    teacher Ruth

Reply
  • April 22, 2009 at 9:12 am
    Permalink

Earth Day is a day where people help out the environment. Some things we can do are: turn out lights, recycle, pick up trash and unplug out electric outlets.

Amia

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day was invented by a senator named Gaylord Nelson.Gaylord was the senator of Wisconsin.He believed we would only have one Earth and we would have to take care of it. The first Earth Day was on April 22,1970.20 million people were estimated to be there.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:41 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day started in April 22,1970. U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson is the founder of Earth Day. Many people tried to convince people to help them start Earth Day. You should celabrate Earth Day because it is the holiday when you make a better planet. Gaylord Nelson was really trying to let people understand. About the importancy about taking care of our Earth. The most creative idea to do for Earth Day in my school is actisvities. The activity I’m thinking of is to The Three R’s Hunt. This is what you need to do. 1.) At your home get the things that you can recycle,reuse,and reduce. (make sure its not the things you need.) 2.) Bring it to school and put it in the diferent catagories bins in the hallway. 3.) In each floor there are catagories bins. 4.) The floor who has the most of the three r things they will win a prize. So what do you think of my idea!….:)

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm
    Permalink

The first Earth day was on April 22,1970. Earth day reminds us to protect our world. The world protects us by giving us oxygen. We need to protect our world for it’s kindness.

What I want to do on Earth Day is to walk around the block. We could walk for 1 hour or half an hour. We could also bring a sandwich, plastic cups and a drink. After we get back we could read a little poetry. We are going to have a great time.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    Permalink

“Earth Day celebrates the deepseated and persistent desire of populations around the globe for peace and harmony, wich have been disrupted over the years by misguided leaders but never by the people themselves.”
    By: George Gallup, Jr–June 30, 1999.

Earth Day began April 22, 1970. It began because its a day to reflect on our planet, our envirment and what we can do to help keep them healthy and the Earth day founder was Gaylord Nelson.

This year I would like to celebrate Earth Day in school by having free time and having to do some and some homework so when we get home we can do the rest and so we can have play time at home and maybe picking up trash and playing outside.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    Permalink

Gaylord Nelson made Earth Day.It started in April 22,1970. An estimated 20 millon people nationwide attended festivites that day. Earth Day became the first opportunity they had to join in a nationwide demonstration.

Some ideas for our Earth Day are:
    We can plant a tree or two.Use both sides of a paper.We can buy recyced things.Like recycled pens,notebooks,and pencils. We can go outside and read books. We can go outside and clean up trash. That is what we should do for Earth Day.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm
    Permalink

The first of Earth Day was on April 22, 1970. The person who created Earth Day was Gaylord Nelson. On the 20 anniversary of Earth Day in 1990 there were more than 200 million people in the celebration of Earth Day. I think Senator Nelson created Earth Day because he knew that since Earth gave us something, we should keep her (Earth) clean.

Some ideas I think we should do for our celebration. I think we could make posters and put them in a circle out side. then we could gather in side the circle and sing songs maybe make them up. Then I think we can gather cans and build a triangle out of them. Thats what I think we should do for our celebration.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm
    Permalink

Earth Day’s creator is Sen. Gaylord Nelson. The first Earth Day was April 22nd, 1970. Earth Day was made to celebrate the wonderful atmosphere of Earth. The very first Earth Day was to promote ecology and respect for Earth.
    Sen. Nelson was a democrat. The first Earth Day drew 20 million people. This was one of the remarkable happenings in history. That Earth Day was a huge success.

Reply
  • April 21, 2009 at 9:14 am
    Permalink

All of us should do our part to save our planet.

Here is an artistic animated ecard for Earth Day, Blue Planet. It is an underwater production completely with many reef fishes, a turtle, a ray and dolphins.

It is free to send and to spread the important message of saving our planet.

Reply