Odds and Ends…

1. How did you spend your Earth Hour? Was it successful? If so, explain why. If not successful, also explain why.
  2. Don’t forget about the Red-Tailed Hawks nesting on the Franklin Institute. To visit the nest site, click here!
  3. Be sure to click on the links at the top of the page: About, Mexico 2009, Monarch Project and MTN and Quote of the Day. These links will take you to other pages within the blog. Come back often as I will be updating them frequently.
  4. As the month of March winds down and April is fast approaching, look for more signs of Spring. How is Spring making itself known to you? Are you seeing/hearing more birds? Is the weather different? Are you seeing or hearing any frogs or insects? Please write your observations here!
  5. I will be rereading the Earth Hour ideas and posting the photos of the winners this week. To my students–your ideas are all terrific! I hope you accomplished your Earth Hour goals!

Peace,

Ms. Lenahan

7 thoughts on “Odds and Ends…

• April 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan his crocuses are light purple.I don’t really know him because I just check on his flowers. Thats cute my dogs are also little devils. I will tell my mom to ask them if they want Milk Weed seeds. Thanks for beleiving in my family about how we don’t waste electricity. Well I have to finish my homework.
    Destiny Hernandez
    Adios and Asta La Vista

Reply
  • April 1, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    Permalink

hi mrs.lenahan this is my first time leaving you a comment so. i wanted to tell you i really enjoy looking at the bulfrog its kind of creepy and cool at the same time.

ps. have a great day

from,Britteni Phillips

Reply
  • March 30, 2009 at 3:13 pm
    Permalink

1.) Earth Hour was very fun. My family got to play games. 2.) I don’t realy seee much at my backyard, Ayala and I always like to see birds. But there is one good thing we saw 2 robins.

Arielle,
    I am so glad you enjoyed Earth Hour with your family. It does sound like you guys had a blast!

You and Ayala can borrow my bird field guides–I have quite a few. You can borrow my binoculars at lunchtime and try to observe the birds on the playground. Who knows what you might see?

See you in the morning! Keep blogging!

Ms. Lenahan

Reply
  • March 29, 2009 at 11:09 pm
    Permalink

Dear Ms. Lenahan
    I’m very sorry we couldn’t do it, but we always try to save electricity, water and reuse plastic bags and I also don’t buy water bottler or plastic plates for the house. I always try to teach Destiny how important is to save electricity and water…………….. to save our planet. Thank you Ms Lenahan for the video of 60 Earth it was great.

Luz D. Hernandez

Mrs. Hernandez,
    I think it is so cool that you come on our blog and keep up to date with what we are doing! And I am not the least bit upset about Earth Hour. Knowing that you teach Destiny to care so much about the environment and the Earth makes me smile! It is very nice to see parents who teach their children to appreciate Nature and our Earth.

Thanks for all that you do!
    Mary Lenahan
    ps. Tell your mom that I loved her message on the blog! And yes, Scruffy is a ‘little devil’ all the time! Él es un pequeño diablo! 🙂

Reply
  • March 29, 2009 at 9:36 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan Earth hour was really fun for me and my family. We didn’t have a candle because my house had a good veiw of the moon. So it was like the lights were partly on.

Spring is coming for my house. I can see yellow flowers, white and brown flowers, and flowers that are just about to bloom. Every time I wake up I hear the birds. But I cant see them. When I went outside today, I didnt even need a jacket! I have been seeing insects, but no frogs.

~Your Student,
    Kelly

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
    I love reading your posts! You sound like me when I was your age. I loved waking up to the sounds of the birds outside my window. You should borrow a bird field guide and learn the names of some of the birds in your yard or in the school yard. You would make a great
    ornithologist!

I just got back from working out (ugh) and I went down to the bay to listen for spring peepers, but I could not hear any. They are late this year because it has been so cold. Do you know what peepers are? I will see if I can find a sound file and post it on the blog for you to hear.

Ttyl,
    Ms. L

Reply
  • March 29, 2009 at 11:41 am
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, during Earth hour, my mom lit 4 candels. She put 1 in the living room. 1 in the dining room. And 1 in 2 bedrooms. When we turned the lights off, it seemed magical because when all the lights were being turned off, it seemed like stars were going away. I spent time with my family. I read by candelight. We also ate around the candels. I had a wonderful time during earth hour or as I like to call it, Family hour!

Ameena,
    I loved reading your description of Earth Hour. It sounds like you had a very magical night! Great name for Earth Hour–Family Hour! Be sure to share it with the class.

I may just eat my dinner by candlelight tonight! Sounds like a great idea. I will have to be careful, though, so Scruffy doesn’t try to steal my veggy burger!

See you in the morning,
    Ms. L

Reply
  • March 29, 2009 at 11:33 am
    Permalink

1. Ms.Lenahan I couldn’t do Earth Hour because I had to go to church on Saturday.I’m sorry I couldn’t do it.
    🙁

2. I can tell spring is here because I hear more birds in the mornig and I always see gese fly over me when I am walking to school. I even see more plants.The weather is getting warmer. This morning I saw a ladybug when I went outside to check on the neighbor’s plants. Now he has alot of crocuses and some of the daffodils are about to bloom.

Destiny,
    That’s ok about Earth Hour! I know you and your family do a lot to conserve electricity, reuse plastic bags and so on. Earth Hour was made to inspire people who don’t care about the Earth like you already do!

I think it is so cool that you go and check on the plants and critters in your neighbor’s yard. What color are his crocuses? Is he a nice man? You should ask him if he’d like some milkweed seeds. Who knows, maybe he will plant some in the yard and you will have your own monarch caterpillars to take care of this summer!!

Love,
    Ms. L

Reply