Tzintzutzan–Thursday, February 19th

Today we visited Tzintzutzan–in Purhepecha it translates to ‘the Place of the Hummingbirds’. We spent the morning exploring the ‘yacatas’ which are believed to have been the bases for the Purhepechas’ temples. Even though Tzintzutzan is called the place of the hummingbird, we only saw a few buzzing around in the trees. I did see many different birds including robins, warblers, a black backed oriole (yes, one of those vicious, monarch-eating creatures!!) and a vermillion flycatcher! It’s not the best photo, but I am thrilled to see have seen one!

Here is a yacata that had been restored. When the Spaniards came to this region in the 1500’s, they destroyed much of the temples in an attempt to destroy the culture and religion of the indigenous people. Archaeologists have restored many of the yacatas.

This stone depicts Purhepecha calendar symbols!

As we drove through the hills and mountains and along the streets of Mexico, one thing that we saw time and time again were dogs. Dogs in the streets, dogs at the pyramids, dogs in the school and dogs on the roof! Yes! Dogs on the roof! Why? One of the teachers asked our guide and he told us that the Mexican people often disciplined their dogs by placing them on the roof when they misbehaved. After a certain amount of time, the dogs were allowed to come back down to the ground and resume regular activities. What an interesting form of discipline!

8 thoughts on “Tzintzutzan–Thursday, February 19th

• March 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm
    Permalink

Ms. Lenahan I can see that dogs were also on top of home roofs too. (I wrote this at home.)

Reply
  • March 12, 2009 at 9:53 am
    Permalink

I can’t belive the dogs are on the roof.I hop they don’t fall off.

Reply
  • March 12, 2009 at 7:29 am
    Permalink

What kind of bird was that on the tree? Was that a red-tailed hawk?

Reply
  • March 8, 2009 at 4:07 pm
    Permalink

I cant believe this, dogs on the roof!Thats crazy!:@Yeah that is some kind of displent maybe my parents will do that to me.

Reply
  • March 1, 2009 at 9:42 pm
    Permalink

Maybe I should put Sharkey on the roof when he’s a bad doggie!!! That might just work.

Reply
  • February 28, 2009 at 6:53 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, I can see the Vermillion-Flycatcher very well! Were there any dogs that looked like Scruffy on the roof? Do you know what the Purhepecha Calendar reads? Did you get to take a picture of the humming bird or were they too fast? Did the dogs seem scared on top of the roof? I know I would be! I just think your trip was an unforgetable experience!

Ameena,
    No, I did not see any dogs who looked like Scruffy on the roof, but I did see triplet white dogs on the island of Janitzio that looked like Scruffy! They were playing in the street near our boat. And no, the dogs on the roof did not seem scared at all. In fact, they seemed to be enjoying it! I don’t think I would like to be on the roof for a long time, either!

I don’t have any idea what the Purhepecha calendar symbols read, I wish I did! No, I did not take any pictures of the hummingbirds–they really were too fast!

I am so glad you like the blog and are enjoying learning about Mexico with me. I am totally enjoying teaching you and your classmates all about what I’ve learned!

Thanks for continuing to post. I promise more pictures very soon!

Reply
  • February 27, 2009 at 11:53 pm
    Permalink

What is a black backed oriole? Are they found anywhere in the United States? Oriole sounds like oreo. How did you feel when you saw all the birds?

Reply
  • February 27, 2009 at 11:48 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan did you find out one of the state birds in Mexico? If you did I would love to hear about it. I just think I would never forget all the things you brought back and I think you will never forget this trip. Am I right?

Reply