Quote of the Day

I am trying something new–a quote of the day. Here I will post a quotation or ‘quote’ from a famous or not-so-famous person. I am asking students to write a few sentences detailing what they think the quote means to them. There are no right or wrong answers! Just tell me what you think. All student participation will be rewarded!

“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”
Booker T. Washington

17 thoughts on “Quote of the Day

• March 23, 2009 at 7:25 am
    Permalink

I this quote means that help others in times of need. For example: your sister is having trouble in her homework and then she asks you that if you could help her on her homework. Thats what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm
    Permalink

Quote of the Day

“Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.” -Bradley Millar

I think this quote means teaching a child not to be mean to someone is better to the child than to the other person.

Like if you teach a child not to be mean to someone will effect on when they grow up. When they grow up they will be nice to everyone they meet. And the other person won’t get hurt. That’s what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm
    Permalink

Arielle Gedeon“Teaching a child to not step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it to the caterpillar.”
    By: Bradley Millar

I think this quote mean that when you are doing something that is not good think before you act. For example, like if someone told me to bully somebody. I won’t because that I will think what I am doing first and this is what I think of this quote.

Reply
  • January 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm
    Permalink

I think what the quote of the day means is how is this caterpillar’s life less important then a human’s life. For example my brother says “How is a fish’s life less important then your own.” This is what I think this quote of the day.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm
    Permalink

I think the quote means like if you think you are the best and not every one thinks so, you should say someone else is better.
    For example if I were to say I’m the best and nobody thinks I am I would say Arielle is the best or someone else. That is what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means when someone is sad, try to cheer her up by playing a game or telling a funny joke. For example: When someone is feeling lonely, comfort them by talking and asking them how they feel. This is what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:39 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means that you want to believe in yourself, believe in some one else. I think this because as soon as I heard this quote I thought of this quote. For example if you want to over come your fear, you can help some one over come their fear by asking that person what their fear is and telling that person ways to over come that fear. That’s what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:38 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means that if you be nice to other people, that feeling that you gave to them will come back to you. For instance, if you help people get back on track or help them get back to work, and then you need help, they will help you. That’s what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:37 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means that if you help yourself you can help others. For example: If one of your friends or a family member needs help on something you can help them. You can help them by helping with the laundry or help them on homework or even helping clean their room. That’s what I think what this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:25 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means that you can stand up for what you believe in you don’t always have to be sad. For example two people are next to each other one doesn’t like the other one so that person doesn’t have to be sad about it. That’s what I think this quote is about.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:20 pm
    Permalink

I feel this quote means when you help someone it will make you feel happy.
    Everything you do to help a person will make you like a better person. It is always good to help a person like if you give you will receive. Also if you see a person in need, you should help that person, even if that person has been mean to you. This is what I feel about this quote.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:19 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means don’t always think about yourself. Think about others. For example there are three cookies on the table. Two kids wanted cookies. One of the kids has two and the other has one. You could split one of the cookies in two. That is what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:19 pm
    Permalink

I think this quote means if you want to help yourself help someone else. Or better yourself to better understand others. You could listen to a friend to understand someone. You could try to help someone and it would help you. That is what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm
    Permalink

I believe this quote means that when someone is feeling bad, don’t just think about you, help them out too. For example if your friend feels bad don’t leave them feeling bad. Help them out because if you don’t that means you are selfish. That is what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 21, 2009 at 1:12 pm
    Permalink

I believe this quote means if you are sad you can feel happy by making someone else happy. For an example of what you can do is if you feel sad, encourage someone else and you will feel happy for doing something nice for someone. That’s what I think this quote means.

Reply
  • January 19, 2009 at 9:27 am
    Permalink

Hi Ms. Lenahan,
    I love the quote you chose to start off with. It’s so simple but so powerful at the same time. I think I’m going to print it out and hang it somewhere in my office or the library- oh! I got it! I’ll post your quote each week on the bb near the office, and add your blog address- it’ll be a little plug for the blog! Remind me on Tuesday…

Reply
  • January 19, 2009 at 9:03 am
    Permalink

Ms. Lenahan, I think the quote from Booker T. Washington means that when you help other people in life, you feel good and that good behavior will come back to you. Your student,
    Ameena

Reply