Blue dasher dragonfly emerging!

This is a picture of a blue dasher nymph that is going through metamorphosis. Metamorphosis is a change in form from one stage to the next in the life of an organism, as from the caterpillar to the pupa and from the pupa to the adult butterfly. A dragonfly lives the first part of its life in the water. When in this stage it is called a nymph. The nymph breathes through gills similar to a fish. It is quite the predator and will eat almost any living thing it can get its jaws on!
When the nymph is big enough, it climbs out of the water (as it has done here,) its exoskeleton breaks open and out emerges the strange-looking adult dragonfly! Watch for me to post another dragonfly photo! PS-I did not take the picture. John is the impressive photographer here! 🙂

12 thoughts on “Blue dasher dragonfly emerging!

• January 14, 2010 at 9:34 pm
    Permalink

The dragon flies looks like air planes when the glide in the air. why do dragon flies eat each other? what kind of other insects do they eat?

Reply
  • January 22, 2009 at 3:53 pm
    Permalink

that is a good picture how did you take it that good.

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, the picture of the Blue dasher dragonfly looks a little scary! Did you take the picture?

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm
    Permalink

The dragonfly looks very scary it looks like a monster

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm
    Permalink

This is the dragon fly am I right? It has big eyes. What is the other insect?

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan your picture of the Blue Dasher is so cool.It looks like two dragonfly but they’re one dragonfly.

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, the picture of the Blue dasher dragonfly is so amazing. It sort of looks like the one in our classroom.Did you take the picture?

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:12 pm
    Permalink

That was a nice picture at the dragonfly Ms lenahan the dragonfly is really close. How did you get that close dragonfly picture?

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm
    Permalink

The dragonfly looks like a monster.

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm
    Permalink

This picture is AWSOME.Where did you take it at?

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 11:42 am
    Permalink

I love checking to see what new things you’ve done with the blog- it’s extra-fabulous! PLEASE come over and help me hook my blog up!

Reply
  • January 8, 2009 at 8:17 am
    Permalink

Ms.Lenahan, the picture of the Blue dasher dragonfly emerging is so amazing! It looks like the dragonfly in our classroom. Did you take the picture?

Reply